Serves: Serves 4 to 6
- 3 Tbls butter, plus 1 tbls to finish
- 3 Tbls virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced (or substitute ½ cup chopped green onions)
- 6 oz. anise pancettini diced ¼"
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms, sliced 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1¼ cups dry white wine
- 6–8 cups chicken stock Heated to just boiling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely grated Parmesan cheese
Using a 4 quart heavy saucepan, heat the oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until onions are transparent, add pancettini, and sauté until pancettini is crisp—then add mushrooms and briefly sauté at low heat for 1–2 more minutes.
Add the rice to the above mixture and stir until the rice is well coated about 3 minutes, then add the wine and let evaporate. Start adding the hot broth, a cup at a time, to the rice mixture- stirring continually. Wait until each addition is almost completely absorbed before adding the next cup of broth—repeat using 6–8 cups of broth. This should take about 20 total minutes at medium heat.
When the rice is al dente (a bit chewy), drop in the last tablespoon of the butter. Bring the dish to the table and add about 1 cup of grated Parmesan, mix and serve hot.