Serves: Makes 1 (9-inch) pie, serving 8 to 10
- 1 Chocolate Cookie Pie Crust (page 180)
- 1 recipe Cinnamon Pastry Cream (page 419)
- 1½ ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (up to 60 percent cacao)
- 1 tablespoon (½ ounce) plus 1¼ cups (10 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 3 large (1½ pounds) firm-ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon (½ ounce) sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate curls (page 428) or additional chocolate cookie crumbs, for garnish
- Caramel Sauce (page 426) and/or Dark Chocolate Sauce (page 427), for serving
Place the chocolate and 1 tablespoon cream in the microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir to blend. If there are any lumps, heat for 15 to 20 seconds longer and stir again. Pour the chocolate into the cooled pie shell and use the offset spatula or back of a spoon to spread in a thin layer across the bottom of the shell and as far up the sides as it will go. Chill for 10 minutes to set the ganache.
Use a paring knife to cut the bananas into ¼-inch-thick slices and gently stir into the chilled pastry cream until they are completely coated. Scrape the filling into the prepared pie crust and spread evenly to the edge. Chill while you make the topping.
Place the 1¼ cups cream, the sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of the stand mixer and whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. You can also use a hand mixer and a medium bowl. Scrape the topping onto the banana filling and use the cleaned offset spatula or the back of a spoon to spread it evenly all the way to the edge. The filling should be completely covered. Alternatively, use a pastry bag with a ½-inch star tip to decoratively pipe the topping (but increase the cream by ½ cup, as piping requires a little extra cream). Sprinkle with cookie crumbs or chocolate curls. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.