Serves: Serves 6-8
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats (do not use instant)
- ½cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½" pieces
- ½ cup (2 ounces) pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 2½ pounds firm, tart baking apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries, picked through, rinsed, and patted dry
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca flour, or 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and position an oven rack in the center.
- Make The Topping: Place the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed until blended evenly, about 10 seconds. Add the cold butter pieces and mix on low for 3 to 4 minutes. At first the mixture will look dry, but eventually it will begin to look like wet sand, and finally it will form small crumbs about the size of peas. Add the nuts, if using, and mix for a few more seconds to evenly disperse them.
- Make The Filling: In the large bowl, use the spatula to toss together the apple slices, brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and cinnamon until all the fruit is coated evenly. Scrape into the baking dish and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the topping in an even layer over the fruit (do not press down).
- Bake And Serve The Crisp: You may want to place a baking sheet or a piece of foil under the crisp to catch any jucies that may bubble over. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the topping is nicely browned and the fruit is bubble and soft (the tip of a paring knive should easily slide in and out of the apple slices). Spoon the warm crisp into bowls and place a scoop of ice cream next to each serving.