Serves: Makes 4 Servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef, preferably ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ pound bacon, chopped and cooked crisp, crumbled (optional)
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill grates
- 4 fresh-baked hamburger buns
- 1 large sweet onion, preferably Vidalia, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard, as desired
Procedures:The amazing, inside-out cheeseburger! Toppings and condiments go on the inside, so every bite is filled with melted cheese, caramelized onions, or whatever you like. Make ’em awesome and easy with our Stuff-A-Burger™ Set.
Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently to combine. Divide ground beef into four 8-ounce portions and divide again, making eight approximately 1-inch thick patties.
Fill the Stuff-A-Burger Press with the seasoned ground beef. Press together firmly to seal the patty. Top the patty with the grated cheddar cheese and cooked bacon, if using. Top with another 1-inch thick patty and press down again. Pop sealed burger out and place in the grill basket. Repeat with other patties.
Prepare a moderate charcoal fire, preheat a gas grill to medium, or heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Brush grill grates or grill pan with a thin coating of oil using a silicone pastry brush. Grill the prepared hamburger patties approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a medium-rare hamburger. Place the buns face down on the hot grill until lightly browned.
To serve: place the burger on the bottom of each bun and top each burger with sliced onion. Top with other condiments as desired. Cover with toasted bun tops and serve immediately.