Serves: Yields 4 servings
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar:
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped herbs, such as chives, parsley and thyme (optional)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 ounces frisee or winter salad greens, washed and dried
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Procedures:To make vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar, shallot, and mustard together in a medium mixing bowl to blend. While whisking vigorously, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the vinegar mixture. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and stir in chopped herbs. Set aside.
Place apple slices in a large salad bowl and drizzle with lemon juice and honey. Using salad tongs, toss lightly to coat. Set aside. Add frisee to apples and season lightly with salt and pepper. Dress with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens and apple slices, saving any remaining dressing for another use. Divide the dressed salad between 4 serving plates and serve immediately.