Serves: Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 1½ cups coconut milk, well stirred if canned
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 10 slices fresh or frozen galangal (about the thickness of a quarter)
- 2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed, and lightly crushed
- 6 to 8 wild lime leaves, torn into 4 pieces each, divided
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into ¾- to 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup trimmed and thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms or other mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons good-quality fish sauce, such as Three Crabs brand
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro and tender stems
Procedures:Lemongrass-Fragrant Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai) is rich with smooth coconut milk, earthy mushrooms and fresh cilantro.
Combine the coconut milk and chicken broth in a medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat. While stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Stir in the galangal, lemongrass, half of the wild lime leaves, the chicken, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil once again then reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, and remaining lime leaves. Ladle in serving bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve as is or with a scoop of hot jasmine rice, if desired.