- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 3 packets (2½ tablespoons) gelatin
- ¾cup ice cold water, for blooming gelatin
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Procedures:This confection’s pillowy-softness, tender sweetness and pure, vanilla-scent makes it an instant favorite with all ages.
- Combine cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Coat the marshmallow pan with a light layer of cooking spray, then generously dust the bottom and sides with the cornstarch/sugar mixture. Set the pan and remaining cornstarch mixture aside for later use.
- Pour gelatin and cold water into your stand mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, honey and corn syrup in medium saucepan. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and cook the sugar mixture on high heat without stirring until it reaches 245°F. The mixture will foam and bubble; this is normal.
- When the sugar mixture reaches 245°F, immediately remove from heat and pour directly onto the gelatin. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and mix with the bloomed gelatin.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip on high speed until white soft peaks are reached, about 5–7 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla extract, return to high for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and pour the marshmallow into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to spread, smooth and level the marshmallow, then dust the top with a light layer of the cornstarch mixture. Allow the marshmallow to set uncovered at room temperature for at least one hour.
- To remove the marshmallow, use a bench scraper to cut the sides away from the pan. Flip the pan upside down, then lightly pull the marshmallow out. Dust the bottom of the marshmallow with a light layer of the cornstarch mixture. Flip the marshmallow back over and cut into desired shapes. Roll the cut marshmallows in cornstarch mixture to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Note: Vanilla marshmallows are great dipped in chocolate. Simply melt chocolate, dip marshmallows and place on parchment paper to set.