Serves: Makes 4 servings
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock, hot
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for sprinkling
Procedures:Saffron imparts the vivid color and flavor in this simple and delicious creamy classic.
In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile add the saffron to the stock, stirring to infuse. Once the onions are translucent add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of the saffron-infused stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock one ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy, about 15 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates, and top with extra cheese.