Serves: Makes 2 servings
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce or paste, such as Sri Racha or gochuchang (gochuchang is best)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Asian toasted sesame oil
- 1 (1 to 1¼) pound flank steak
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Procedures:Marinate steaks in the fridge in the morning for a delicious grilled dinner in the evening.
Make the marinade: In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, chili sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Place flank steak in a deep baking dish and pour marinade over it. Turn steak to coat well with marinade. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes, or refrigerate for 24 hours.
Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat, or use a broiler or stove-top grill pan.
Remove steak from marinade then transfer the remaining marinade to a glass measuring cup or bowl and set aside.
Oil grill rack if using gas grill, then grill steak for about 4 to 5 minutes each side until cooked medium-rare. Cooking time is the same for a broiler or grill pan.
Transfer steak to a cutting board and let stand, uncovered for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the remaining marinade in a microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until it boils. Remove marinade and transfer to a small serving bowl.
Thinly slice steak across the grain. Serve with the remaining sauce, scallions and sesame seeds.