- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Fleur de Sel or other coarse sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate chips
Procedures:The classic chocolaty favorite shaken up with a dash of flavor from the sea.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine flour and baking soda in small bowl. Mix butter, fleur de sel, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly combined and creamy looking. Add vanilla extract and egg, mixing well. Stir in flour mixture little by little until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Roll heaping tablespoons of the dough into balls and flatten into smooth discs about ¼"-inch thick. Place onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with a little fleur de sel, gently pressing the salt into the dough to adhere.
Bake in the center of the oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Variation: To make granola cookies with sea salt, substitute the chocolate chips with 1 generous cup granola (Quaker 100% Natural is best for this recipe). Use flaky Maldon salt to top the cookies.