Serves: Serves 4
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 cup red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup white onion, cut into a ½-inch dice
- 1 28-ounce can black beans, drained in a colander and rinsed well
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1–2 tbsp. sherry or red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper
Procedures:This essential Latin-American dish is fragrant with toasted cumin and simple to prepare as a comforting main dish or quick side.
Preheat a heavy bottomed, large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and cumin seeds and cook until cumin is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper and the onion, stirring occasionally. Cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
Add the black beans and sugar, stirring well. Cook until beans are heated through and flavors combine, about 4 minutes more. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.