Serves: Makes 6 servings
- ½ pound dense, day-old French or Italian country bread, crust removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2½ pounds yellow or gold tomatoes, peeled, cored, and diced, with juices
- 1 small cucumber, about ½ pound, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ large yellow or gold bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar (optional)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 small red tomato, sliced into ½-inch wedges
- Pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika), mild, medium, or hot, or other paprika
Procedures:With ripe tomatoes harvested in so many riveting hues these days, gazpacho no longer has to be red. Surprise guests with this golden version, a puree of all the classic gazpacho vegetables—tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, sweet peppers (yellow, of course)—thickened with bread, heightened with vinegar, and scented with cumin.
Float a slice of hardcooked egg and drizzle green olive oil on each serving to make a chilled soup with eye appeal. For the tomatoes, look for super-tasty slicing varieties like Lemon Boy, Taxi, Pineapple, Persimmon or Gold Medal. - From Janet Fletcher’s Eating Local
Put the bread in a large bowl and sprinkle with the Champagne vinegar. Toss to coat the bread with the vinegar. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Toss well. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour to draw the juices out of the tomatoes.
Purée the mixture thoroughly in a blender, in batches. Strain through a medium-mesh sieve to remove the tomato seeds and pepper skins, pressing on the solids. Taste for salt and stir in the sherry vinegar. If the soup seems too thick, thin with cold water. Cover and chill thoroughly.
Slice the eggs and set aside 6 pretty slices that include both white and yolk.
Divide the soup evenly among bowls. Top each portion with an egg slice and tomato wedge, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pimentón. Serve immediately.