Serves: Makes 8 Servings
- 8 slices sourdough or country-style bread, cut into ¾-inch thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half
- 4 small ripe tomatoes cut in half
- Cruet of extra-virgin olive oil
- Small bowl of coarse salt or sea salt
- Freshly ground peppercorns
Procedures:This traditional Catalan dish is light, luscious and bursting with bright ripe tomatoes, olive oil and garlic. For the best flavor, use vine-ripe tomatoes, preferably home grown. If not available, slow-roasted or baked tomatoes may be substituted.
Grill the bread approximately 2 to 4 minutes per side on a barbecue or toast it lightly in the oven.
Once the bread is toasted, rub ½ clove of garlic (cut side of half) over the warm bread. Use a fresh piece of garlic for each slice. Rub tomato (cut side) over the bread, pressing firmly to push the pulp into the bread, until the toast is covered with tomato. Discard the tomato skins and remaining pulp. Drizzle olive oil over the bread and tomatoes, then sprinkle with salt and ground pepper. Serve immediately.
Optional garnish, choose one or a combination:
- ½ cup green Spanish olives
- 12 anchovy fillets, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, drained and patted dry
- 6 paper-thin slices Spanish ham or prosciutto
- 12 paper-thin slices of Manchego