Serves: Makes 8 servings
Ingredients:Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 2 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ cups strawberries, puréed and strained
- 1-¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped (or substitute semi-sweet)
- 1½ cups strawberries, sliced plus additional for garnish
Procedures:For whipped cream, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 2 tablespoons cold water. Let stand until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Heat in microwave 10 to 15 seconds; stir until gelatin is dissolved and liquid; repeat if needed.
In large bowl, whip cream and confectioners’ sugar to soft peaks. Add dissolved gelatin and strawberry purée; whip until well combined. Refrigerate 2 hours, or until gelatin has set and cream is spreadable.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare Wilton 5-Layer Cake Pans with vegetable spray.
For cake batter: In large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until just combined. Divide evenly into prepared pans.
Bake 18 to 21 minutes, rotating pans halfway between baking. Cakes are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on cooling grid; remove from pans and cool completely.
For ganache, heat cream until steaming. Add chocolate and let sit until softened. Stir until combined. Cool to room temperature (use the same day; do not refrigerate).
To assemble, cut the crowns off of each cake layer. Place first layer on cake board or serving plate. Spread a thin layer of ganache to edges of cake. Cover with a thicker layer of strawberry whipped cream. Add a single layer of sliced strawberries, pressing gently into whipped cream. Repeat with remaining layers. Garnish top with additional whole strawberries.