Serves: Makes 8 servings
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, softened
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons seedless raspberry jam
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 cups (about 1 lb.) sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup seedless raspberry jam
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
Procedures:In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating until just combined.
Divide batter evenly into 5 bowls (about ¾ cup batter in each bowl). Mix cocoa powder and peanut butter chips in one bowl until completely combined. Mix chocolate chips into another bowl of batter. Mix coconut into third bowl and almonds into a fourth bowl. Pour each bowl of batter into a prepared pan. Drop jam in small dollops over the plain pan of batter; swirl into batter with butter knife.
Bake 18 to 21 minutes, rotating pans halfway between baking. Cakes are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on cooling grid; remove from pans and cool completely.
For filling, beat shortening and butter in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Divide icing evenly into 2 bowls. Mix raspberry jam into one bowl; mix melted chocolate chips into another bowl.
To assemble, cut the crowns off of each cake layer. Place chocolate chip cake on cake board or serving plate. Spread a layer of chocolate icing to edges of cake. Top with almond cake. Spread a thin layer of raspberry icing to edges. Top with chocolate peanut butter cake and chocolate icing. Top with raspberry swirl cake and raspberry icing. Finish with coconut cake and chocolate icing.
Garnish with additional chocolate chips, shredded coconut, almonds and fresh raspberries.