Serves: Makes 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch baby Russian kale
- 2½ ounces Gouda cheese, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 Anjou pear, halved and cored, sliced crosswise
Procedures:The combination of kale and pear is a healthy seasonal delight and a wonderful addition to your next dinner party. Kale is at its nutritional and flavored best when the leaves are deeply colored and it has hardy stems.
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together mustard and vinegar. In a steady stream, vigorously add olive oil and canola oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Place the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden-brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Tear kale leaves into bite-size pieces, placing in a medium-size bowl. Coat the leaves with the salad dressing and mix well.
To serve: Arrange the salad leaves on a salad plate and sprinkle with the cheese, pear, and walnuts. Drizzle a small amount of the vinaigrette over the top of the salad, and serve immediately.