Serves: Makes 4 servings
- Flatbread: Makes 1 pound; 2 (12-inch) or 4 (8-inch) pizzas
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 2¼ teaspoons Saf-Instant yeast
- 3¼ cups (16 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour or 00 “Italian style” flour
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) water
- 3 tablespoons (1½ ounces) extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- Grilled Peach Salad:
- Vegetable oil for brushing grill
- 2 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups watercress, washed and stemmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 paper-thin slices of prosciutto, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
Procedures:The grill caramelizes the peaches and intensifies their sweet summer flavor. It’s a perfect match with peppery watercress and salty prosciutto.
To make the Flatbread Dough: Place the warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle with the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes or until foamy. Stir to dissolve, if necessary.
In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and salt and mix briefly to combine. Turn the mixer on low speed, add the yeast mixture and mix to combine. Add the water and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can knead the dough by hand on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
Shape the dough into a smooth ball, place it on a floured surface and cover with an inverted bowl, plastic wrap or a damp cloth. Let rise at room temperature for about 1½ hours, or until doubled in bulk.
When the dough is ready, use a large knife or a bench scraper to divide it into 4 equal pieces. With lightly floured hands, press out any bubbles that might have formed in the dough and form each piece into a small smooth ball. Place about 4 inches apart on a lightly floured surface. Let rise for about 45 minutes. Once Risen, roll out each ball and brush olive oil on both sides.
To grill the Dough and Peaches: Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Using a silicone pastry brush, lightly brush the plates with oil.
Place the peaches on the grill cut side down. Grill until grill marks develop, about 4 minutes. Turn and grill about 3 minutes more or until tender. Transfer to a cutting board and thinly slice. Set aside.
Similarly, grill the flabread until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Turn and grill for about 2 minutes more. Once grill marks develop, remove from grill and set aside.
To make the Watercress Salad: In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice until combined. Place the watercress into a medium bowl and toss with enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
To serve:Arrange the watercress over grilled flatbread and top with peaches and prosciutto. Drizzle balsamic over the top. Serve immediately.