Serves: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, large dice
- ½ lb. hot and ½ lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped, liquid reserved
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fusilli
- One 19-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
Procedures:This Tuscan classic of cannellini beans and pasta is transformed into a hearty main course with the addition of sweet and hot Italian sausages.
In an All Clad 4-Quart Weeknight Pan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion then the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Cook the sausage until it just loses its pink color, about 7 minutes.
Add the cup of stock and cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with their liquid and the crushed red pepper. Cook over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fusilli until al dente. It is recommended to cut 2 to 3 minutes off the directions given on the box. Drain well, reserving ½ cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the cooked pasta to the sausage mixture and combine with beans, the butter, ½ of the Parmesan and the chopped basil. Stir lightly to combine and heat through, about 3 minutes. Add pasta water to create the consistency desired. Serve with basil leaves and remaining Parmesan to garnish. Serve with a simple salad and crusty bread.