Cooking Classes: Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of your classes?
Great cooking isn't about recipes—it's about techniques. In our classes you'll work together with other students in a fun, hands-on environment led by our professional chef instructors.
- -Classes are 2 to 2 1/2 hours, unless otherwise noted on the registration page
- -You will work with other students in groups of 4
- -You will be standing, cooking and working for most of the class
- -Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes and have long hair tied back
- -You will enjoy a generous taste of every dish
- -Students receive a coupon good for 10% off in-store purchases the day of class
We have two different class formats:
- -Hands On: These are full participation classes. Students take part in practicing techniques and preparing the menu items. Hands-on classes are limited to 16 people.
- -Demonstration: Designed as an observation class, participants watch while chefs explain and show recipe preparation and cooking techniques. Class is limited to 32 people.
We offer classes for adults and children, age restrictions are listed on the class registration page.
- -Adult Classes: Ages 18 and older
- -Family Fun: Ages 6 and older. These classes are designed for children and adults to cook and learn together. Class price is per person and children under 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- -Kids: Are for children between the ages of 8 - 12.
- -Teens: Our teen classes are limited to the ages of 13 - 17.
Through hands-on experience, you’ll learn about classic and innovative cooking techniques, global flavors and emerging trends. Delicious food will be produced in the process, and you and your classmates will receive a generous taste of everything that is made. Unfortunately, we’re not able to send food home with our students.
Sur La Table recipes are developed using common cooking and baking ingredients that may or may not be specified in the menu titles, including various fruits and vegetables, nuts, meats, spices, wheat flours, etc. If you have a food allergy, please check with your local Cooking School before attending the class. Adjustments to recipes cannot be made during class.
We ask that you wear comfortable, casual clothing and flat comfortable shoes, long hair should be tied back. Please do not wear open-toed shoes or sandals.
To find a class, browse the "Class Locations" menu to the left, or use the Search widget at top left, to locate your preferred Sur La Table store. Each store page features a calendar listing all classes offered at that location, month by month. Click the title of the class you want to attend. The next screen will give you greater detail about the class. Enter the number of seats you wish to reserve in the "Seats available" box. Click the "Register" button. Payment in full is required at the time of registration.
If a class is in waitlist status, you can add your name to the waiting list. You do not need to submit any payment information until a spot becomes available. If an opening becomes available, you will be contacted by phone or email. Please provide the best phone number to reach you during the day. Your credit card information will be required at the time you accept a spot in the class. Depending on kitchen availability and interest, we may add additional classes to satisfy demand.
You may cancel your registration for a class up to 48 hours in advance of the class start time and receive a full refund or transfer to another class of equal value. To cancel a registration, contact the local Culinary Manager for that location, or call our customer service department at 800-243-0852 from 8am-midnight Eastern Time M-F, 10am-10pm EST Sat and Sun. (Holiday hours may vary.) No refund or exchanges will be given on classes that are cancelled less than 48 hours prior to the class. Sur La Table reserves the right to cancel any class that fails to attract sufficient enrollment, for chef illness or inclement weather. We will contact you by email or telephone and issue a full refund or you may request to be transferred to another class of your choice (depending on availability). If you miss a class due to weather-related concerns, our standard cancellation policy applies.
When you register online, you will be asked to create an account and choose a password. We ask that you do this so that we can provide you with a higher level of service and security for this and future transactions. You only need to enter this information once. As a bonus, creating an account will allow you to review a list of your prior attendance at any time. Account holders can edit contact information at any time by clicking on the 'My Account' section of the Web site. Items marked with an * are required. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email of your registration. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at [email protected].
- Home>Cooking Classes