PRE-CLASS MISE EN PLACE AND NOTES
Please gather all ingredients prior to class if you will be cooking along. It is helpful to organize the
ingredients by recipe on rimmed baking sheets.
Feel free to pre-measure ingredients, but it is not necessary.
1. Soak bamboo skewers for 30 minutes prior to class.
Ingredient Shopping List
Below is a list of ingredients you’ll need to make the recipes in this packet. Please reach out for substitution suggestions.
Proteins☐ 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
Produce☐ 4 garlic cloves
☐ 1 lemon
☐ 1 English cucumber
☐ 2 large tomatoes
☐ 1 red or green bell pepper
☐ 1 small red onion
Dairy☐ 4 cups whole-milk Greek yogurt
☐ 4 ounces Feta cheese
Pantry Items☐ Olive oil
☐ Red wine vinegar
☐ Sweet paprika
☐ Kosher or sea salt
☐ Black pepper in a grinder
Dry/Canned Goods☐ ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted
Other☐ 10-inch bamboo skewers (or metal)
☐ 1 package pita bread
Below is a list of tools you’ll need to make the recipes in this packet.
Cutlery☐ Chef’s knife
☐ Paring knife
☐ 2 Cutting boards
Hand Tools/Gadgets☐ 3 Medium Mixing bowls
☐ Silicone brush
☐ Heat-safe tongs
☐ Fine mesh strainer
☐ Wooden spoons or silicone spoons
☐ Box grater
☐ Bench scraper
Cookware☐ Grill pan or cast-iron skillet
Other☐ Serving platters and bowls
LEMON CHICKEN SOUVLAKI
Yield: 4 servings
For traditionally skewered foods like Greek Souvlaki, metal skewers work best as they do not require soaking and can be used again and again. If you are using wooden skewers, they need to be soaked 30 minutes in advance.
Chicken souvlaki marinade:
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
8 (10-inch) skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
1 package of pita bread, for serving
Tzatziki Sauce, for serving (recipe follows)
- To prepare the marinade: To a medium bowl, add all marinade ingredients; whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill, remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Using a silicone brush, coat the grill with oil and place skewers on the grill. Cook until grill marked and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
- To serve: Transfer skewers to a medium platter and serve with sliced tomatoes, sliced red onion, tzatziki sauce, and pita.
Yield: about 3 cups
1/2 English cucumber
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
2 cups whole-milk Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
- Grate cucumber, transfer to a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl and toss with the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let cucumber stand for 10 minutes and then press with the back of a spoon to expel liquid; discard any excess liquid.
- 2. Transfer cucumber to a medium bowl and add remaining ingredients, stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed; tzatziki will last 2 to 3 days stored this way.
No grater? Fine dice or julienned cucumber with a knife.
GREEK VILLAGE SALAD (HORIATIKI SALATA)
Yield: 4 servings
2 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 cup), cut into 1-inch dice
1 red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 large English cucumber, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 red onion, cut into thin slices
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2 to 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To a medium serving bowl add all ingredients, toss gently to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately, or transfer to refrigerator in an airtight food storage container for up to 3 days.