Serves: Makes 10 tacos
- 2 Hass avocados –halved, pitted and peeled
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small head of green cabbage, finely shredded (4 cups)
- vegetable oil for brushing on the fish
- 2 pounds thick red snapper fillets with skin, cut crosswise into ten 2-inch-wide strips
- Ten 7-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
Procedures:Light a grill or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
In a medium bowl, mash the avocados, sour cream, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice. Season the guacamole with salt and pepper and press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole.
In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and pull off the skin.
To assemble each taco, spread a dollop of guacamole on a tortilla. Top with a piece of fish, a few tomato slices and a large spoonful of the cabbage slaw. Serve with the hot sauce and lime wedges.